Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Hopes and Dreams

Once again, I'm headed to Kentucky for the Rolex Kentucky Three Day Event, the only four star event to be held in the United States.  And once again, I'll be staying with the best bro around, who happens to live about 30 minutes from the horse park--I am one lucky sister!  I've been lucky enough to come here for the past nine years as a fence judge at this spectacular event.  It makes me feel downright special--I actually get to help this incredible thing happen!

One of the highlights for me here this time around was the fact that a WONDERFUL Area V woman, Ellen Doughty, and her horse, Sir Oberon ("Obie," who Ellen brought along herself), were going to compete in their first four star event....AND Ellen was going to get married in the middle of it!  I have my official Pegasus Eventing shirt to wear, the armband as well, and I was prepared to wish the couple well on the cross country course Friday evening where they are to be joined in marital bliss (after my fence judge briefing, of course!).  But while I was flying to Kentucky, the riders were doing their jog up....and Obie was "spun" (not accepted) because of a heel rub.

ARRGGGHHH!!!

Ellen, like the champion she is, is being graceful and sportsmanlike.  I know she's devastated, but she's bouncing back, looking forward to the wedding.  Bravo, Ellen!

I had a clinic this past spring with Will Faudree, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I have great respect for Will as a horseman and a person, and I will be cheering for him and Pawlow (Ernie),  He's a former Texas rider, and he's proven that he can do this on multiple horses.  My fingers are crossed that they will, as Jimmy Wofford says, have "three consecutive good days".

I'm sad, too, that Jessica Phoenix chose not to present Exponential at the jog.  I met her over a year ago (buying a horse!), and she, too, impressed me as a good soul.....AND Jimmy Wofford chose her as one of his "Top Ten" finishers (along with Will and Pawlow).  My heart goes out to her (and to Laine Ashker, whose horse is suffering from an abscess).  SO tough to be this close and have the door slammed in your face.

BUT these guys know that there WILL be another chance....it's all about the journey.  Something I would do well to remember more often!

Driving here from the airport, I was VERY glad I didn't run into any policemen, as I'm sure they would have wanted to check my blood alcohol level.  This happens every time I come here.  No, it's not from the bourbon (or even that wonderful Kentucky Bourbon Ale)....it's from me gawking at all the GREEN.....grass, trees, shrubs......not to mention the expansive fields with mares and foals grazing. And the beautiful manicured buildings. What's NOT to gawk at?

I enjoyed a lovely evening with my brother and sister-in-law at a local Paris restaurant called Thyme.  Looking forward to seeing more family later this weekend, as well as checking in on some old (and new) friends.   Here's to hopes and dreams, and good souls who handle things with class.  Dressage tomorrow after my yearly pilgrimage to Quillin's.


No comments:

Post a Comment